Monday, August 3, 2015

Indicate or crash!

I woke up to rain this morning. Beautiful grey skies, crystal clear rain drops. That strange smell that I can't explain but I wish I could bottle and save for sunny days. I love the rain!
Until I got out on the road. My sister had been in town visiting and we went to drop her off at the airport. I got in the car did the normal routine of seatbelt and mirror check, as we got on the I15 the rain started falling a little heavier, visibility dropped and the haze that comes off of the road from other vehicles had started to fly. So on came the windshield wipers and my headlights. This was a visibility thing. So I could see and be seen.
Not everyone else on the road thought headlights were necessary. I watched several vehicles slam on brakes and swerve out of the way of cars, vans and trucks who just seemed oblivious to the chaos they were causing. Which leads me to the other pet peeve of the day. Why weren't these folks indicating? When I was in high school there was a campaign for road safety. A couple of phrases stuck with me, "Indicate or crash!" and "Merge like a zip!"
Last one I promise, If you are driving the speed limit and folks are passing you, move over. It makes sense to stay in the right lane, and use the left lane for passing. Just as a general rule of thumb in the U.S.
I'm not the best driver. Seriously, town driving is not my forte'. Every once in a while I've renewed the faith of a lost soul in god. But even I know to indicate.

A new edition of Get Lost is coming soon. I'll be writing about some trails I've checked out since moving up to Utah. 

No comments:

Post a Comment