Monday, July 27, 2015

Get lost! Episode 1 In which I finally go to The Museum in Fillmore.

Recently, I was driving up from Southern Nevada to Utah Valley. I got back into an old habit that I had been neglecting, getting lost. Getting lost is where I take some time to go explore or see something I haven't seen before. I normally find out something new about the area I'm in and it helps me learn a little bit about myself along the way.

Fillmore Utah

So while passing through Fillmore Utah my daughter and I spotted a playground. I think we both felt a little better after mucking about on the playground. Then we went down the road and stopped at the old State capitol which has been converted to a state park you can check out their website here, Territorial Statehouse Park.  I love finding out about the history of an area. I use to run a heritage museum and you find out a lot about a community and where they come from when you get involved in the local history.
One thing I loved about the museum is that on the ground floor was quite a few original photos of the settlers of the area. I appreciate the museum had them somewhere were there was little to no natural light hitting the photos. U.V. light is death for photos. Many institutions are switching over to L.E.D lights to help prevent damage to artifacts and photos.

I found one of my Husband's relatives on the wall. 

Also coming up in November I get to go to Teslacon! This year's theme is Wild Wild West. While I was wondering through the museum all the inspiration hit. From civil war era guns to finding out what a cooper is (-a barrel maker) and  it got me thinking about how to piece together my own medical kit for a character I'm developing.

  


However a toddler's attention span only lasts so long. So we got back on the road and slept in our own bed's for the night. We woke up the next morning and got on the road again. We were heading to Thermopolis Wyoming for a dear friend's engagement party. 

Somewhere in Wyoming...


We took WY 28 to get where we were going. Not the loneliest road in the U.S. but felt close to it. I wish I had taken more photos but I was distracted by getting where I was going. Earlier in the trip we saw antelope, prairie dogs, deer, and lots of unidentified roadkill.  Thermopolis itself seems to be filled with the nicest people on the planet and I appreciate all the hospitality and kindness that was shown to me. It is also home to Wyoming Dinosaur's Center and Natural Hot Springs.

I'm going to start making a habit of getting lost and exploring what's around me. See you out there.





No comments:

Post a Comment