Monday, December 14, 2015

Read All the Books!

I had one class left to finish, I had put reading for fun and other pursuits aside. But know all the class work is done. After a final I will have my diploma. Which means... READ ALL THE BOOKS! I've missed reading for fun.

Warning SPOILERS AHEAD!

I started with Alyson Grauer's "On the Isle of Sound and Wonder" A delightful adaptation of William Shakespeare's The Tempest.

Shakespeare can be a tricky thing to adapt, taking on something like the Tempest can be a daunting task. Is it a comedy? Is it a tragedy? There are a lot of different conflicting elements in the play. However I was thrilled with many of Grauer's decisions and portrayals she handles the subject matter with grace and in an entertaining way.

Setting the novel in a steampunk universe makes the magic plausible and interesting and the exploration of the different possibilities whether mechanical or magical was wonderful and engaging.
To find out what else Alyson Grauer is up to be sure to check out her website. Recently she has been on a Disney Odyssey watching and writing responses to Disney's animated classics.

Next time on READ ALL THE BOOKS; Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn Series.



No comments:

Post a Comment